Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

"What'cha Been Reading?" Book Club Meeting November 2010

Books We Discussed at our November 18, 2010 Meeting

At the "What'cha Been Reading?" Book Club we casually discuss anything we've been reading while enjoying snacks. It is fun and a great way to find out about books worth reading.

* Scott Pilgrim (Series) by Brian Lee O'Malley
--Effectively melds romance, video games, rock music, and cool artwork
--"He shouldn't go out with her! He's a cheater!"
--"He's like Joe Jonas."

* Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith
--The book is "pretty good."
--"The cover is misleading because the girl doesn't look African-American like she is in the book."
--She is sort of like Amelia Earhart

* MacBeth by Wiliam Shakespeare
--It is "good but sad"
--The language isn't too difficult to understand
--"My school keeps calling and harassing my mom to attend a play of MacBeth for $4 a ticket!"

* Twilight (series) by Stephenie Meyer
--"Oh snap! She became a vampire for him! And had a kid! OMG!"
--"I like it because it's not realistic and I like to escape from the real world."

* Series of Unfortunate Events (series) by Lemony Snicket
--"I stopped at book 7 because I got bored."
--"My teacher said it was 'too little' and didn't count much toward my reading requirements."

* US History Textbook
--"I used to try to be sick so I could avoid reading it, but I started to get into it."
--The British are "liars" because they promised the slaves they'd have freedom if they fought the colonialists but never stuck to their word

* The Wizard of Oz (series) by L. Frank Baum
--If you've only seen the movie, the books are quite different. In the first book, for example, the Tin Man uses his axe to take down a flock of attacking birds.
--The characters are very colorful and imaginative

* Dr. Seuss books
--"I have a acrush on the Cat in the Hat. I'd go on a date with him."
--We all admitted we've had crushes on characters from books (and other forms of media) at one time or another!

* Next Month's "What'cha Been Reading?" Book Club Meeting
Thursday, December 16, 3:30 pm. Please join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment