Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hello from Malcolm X Library's Youth Services Librarian

Hello everyone! My name is Bill and I am the Youth Services Librarian at the Malcolm X Library. I have worked for the San Diego Public Library system since 1993 (which might even be before some Teen Council members were born!), and I transferred to the Malcolm X Library in January of this year.

Even though I'm writing this post, the focus of this blog will be content created by the library's teens. The blog is run by the Teen Council, and I'm here to provide support and guidance as needed. The idea is for the blog to truly be "for teens, by teens." I think that just by using a phrase like that I'm proving that I'm "old" and probably don't write the type of content that most teens would consider "cool." haha!

I wanted to point out that you don't have to be a Teen Council member to write for the blog. Any teen who has something to share is free to submit content. Maybe you've read a good book lately or you've seen a movie that you think everyone should avoid at all costs. Perhaps you've heard a really catchy song that people might not know about or you just got your hands on a really great video game. Submit whatever you'd like to share and let your voice be heard!

Since I'm taking the time to post something on the blog, I might as well write a little bit about something that has captured my attention lately. When I'm not busy being a librarian, I'm a huge video game nerd. My favorite thing to do is spend time with my family... but playing video games is a close second!

Recently I have been playing an XBox 360 (Live Arcade) game called Hydro Thunder: Hurricane, which is an over-the-top racer featuing souped-up boats blasting through amusement park-like water courses at breakneck speeds. Each level is cleverly designed and features a unique theme, such as an tropical island where giant monsters roam the waters. Hurrican is actual a sequel to the original Hydro Thunder, a game I put countless hours into years ago on my Sega Dreamcast. For $15, it provides more than enough fun material to warrant its fairly low price.

Thanks for taking the time to visit the Teen Council blog (and reading my long post!), and I hope you'll give us a hand by writing something for it. Also, be sure to check out the events we have going on at the library. We have all kinds of fun things to do, like Teen Craft programs, video game events, and a Teen Book Club. I hope to see you at our library soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment